Breast cancer is one of the leading cancers in South African women, here’s a few facts about that we all need to be aware of, including why 40 is such an important number.
- All women 40 an older should get annual mammograms
- Mammography can lower your risk of dying of breast cancer by 40%
- The most lives are saved by yearly mammography starting at age 40
- 1 in 6 breast cancers occur in women aged 40 – 49
- Ten-year risk for breast cancer in a 40 year old is 1 in 69
- A Harvard study showed that 70% of women who died from breast cancer were among 20% of women not screened
- Early detection significantly improves breast cancer survival, reducing the risk of dying of breast cancer by 40%
- REMEMBER: 75% of women with breast cancer have NO family history or other risk factors
- Mammography has helped to reduce breast cancer deaths by 1/3 since 1990
- When breast cancer is detected early the five-year survival rate is almost 100%
- Even for women 50+ skipping a mammogram every year would miss up to 30% of cancers
- Mammography can detect cancer early when it is most treatable
Remind your mother, daughter, or sister to schedule an annual mammogram. Take time for yourself. Save a life.