Together with our client, we are recruiting for an Ultrasonographer in Durban. The ideal candidates need to perform ultrasound procedures, with a particular focus on complex and interventional work. The candidate must hold a National Diploma in Ultrasound and a Minimum of one-year community service training.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Explaining sonographic procedures to patients, answering questions, preparing patients by applying the gel to the skin, and positioning the patients on the table. Check for informed consent for procedures.
- Ensuring clear images for diagnostic purposes and making adjustments to the sonographic equipment when necessary.
- Selecting the appropriate settings and adjusting the patients’ positions accordingly.
- Monitoring and caring for patients to ensure their safety and comfort during the procedures.
- Selecting and examining images, looking for differences between healthy and pathological areas, and determining if the scope of the exam should be extended, based on preliminary findings.
- Presenting the sonograms and preliminary findings to the Physicians.
- Completing the appropriate documentation and maintaining patients’ histories and medical records.
- Maintaining and cleaning the sonographic equipment.
- Scan patients to obtain images using Real-Time, Doppler, and Colour Doppler Imaging
- Scan Abdomen (adults and children)
- Scan small parts such as thyroid glands, breast, parotid glands, and testis
- Vascular ultrasound includes Carotid Artery Doppler, Doppler of upper and lower limb arteries, and veins. Perforator study of veins included transplant patient
- Paediatric scan including cranial and hip ultrasound
- Perform portable studies.
- Assist Radiologists during invasive procedures such as liver, breast, kidney biopsies and ascitic and pleural tapping and interventional procedures
- Prepare slides & complete lab forms Obstetric ultrasound Muscular skeletal ultrasound
- Basic cardiac ultrasound
- Cleanliness of the ultrasound room, change linen, organize work list per day, prioritize urgent examinations
- Attend to problems with equipment and liaise with vendors
- Review exam orders/requisitions and corresponding protocol
- Liaise with Drs’, radiologist, reception staff, radiographers, and ward staff with regards to patient preparation and examination and time of exam and hand over the patient
- Explain procedure to patients, including patient preparation in order to obtain optimum results.
- Record images in the proper format for radiologists and for archiving
- Print films, collect from printer and handover to radiologist
- Provide preliminary ultrasound report
- Participate in staff meetings, and in-service and /or continuous education
- Attend workshops to improve the quality of ultrasound
- Assist in training and supervision of students and trainees and evaluate their performance
- Oversee regular machine maintenance
- Stock control
- Follow up post procedures forms and specimen handling
- Care of the patient with special needs. Apply proper protocol in the safe disposal of biomedical waste
- Set up and monitor a quality assurance program for all scans and procedure/s whilst ensuring Radiologist/referring doctor preferences are considered, ensure all venues/regions are adhering to the program
- Develop and maintain a library of protocols, update as required
- Work in conjunction with the Clinical Tutor Lead and the Ultrasonographer managing rosters
- Follow protocol for needle-stick injuries
- Carry out an evacuation drill
- Perform first aid
- Apply quality control
- Implement and use appropriate quality assurance protocol
- Analyse and interpret quality assurance findings
- Ensure quality control of student radiographers
- Comply with manufacturers standards
- Ensure suitable processing conditions
- Timeous presentation of imaging for reporting
- Formatting imaging as per practice requirements
Skills and Competencies
- Stakeholder engagement
- Excellent Operational skills
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Adhering to principles and values
- Inter and Intrapersonal Skills
- Communication Skills – written + verbal
- Problem solving skills
- Accuracy + Attention to detail
- Deciding and initiating action
- Delivering results
- Record keeping skills;
- Strong patient-centric focus
- Maintain patient privacy
- Maintain confidentiality
- Label films correctly
- Express opinions appropriately
- Observe protocol
- Respect human life Minimum Requirements
- Time Management Skills
- Co-ordination Skills
- Team Working Skills
- Honesty + Integrity
- Patience + empathetic
Required Minimum Qualifications
- National Diploma in Ultrasound.
- Registration with the Health Professional Council and MPS cover
- Maintain requirements of a professional body for CME/CPD points
- Minimum one-year community service training
- Relief at venues as required, in emergencies and when colleagues are on leave
- Ability travel to cover shifts at other venues within KZN
Salary and benefits:
- Basic Salary – Market Related (Depending on experience)
- Med Aid Allowances: R4000
- Scarce Skills Allowance: R6000
- Gap (funded by the company)
- Provident ER contribution of 10.53% of basic
- Pension EE contribution of 5% of basic (as a deduction)
- Saturdays paid separate
Only candidates who meet all the requirements stipulated in this advert, will be considered. If you don’t receive feedback from us within 2 weeks of your application, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Should you meet all the requirements as set out above, kindly email a CV together with supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference: USG – Durban